Friday, September 25, 2009

I'm a Tower Junky

I just can't stop. I started reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series towards the beginning of Aug. and I'm now on the 5th book in the series. I'll give you a little background if you're not in the know.

Back in the early 70's Stephen King wrote a few short stories based on a character called simply "The Gunslinger" as he chased "The Man in Black." These few short stories were later put together into a book, and another book later followed. In 2004 the 7th and final book in the series was completed. So it took him over 30 years to write all of them. Some times a long wait in between books. I'm so glad I wasn't reading them as they came out.

Stephen King considers these to be his master piece. The thing he'll be remembering for more than anything else. I've tried in the past to read his works. I just couldn't get into them. I've tried many different books, and at different times in my life with no luck. I'd never tried The Dark Tower though.

It’s captured me. It combines so many different things. It’s a western, sci-fi, action, romance, fantasy, horror, thriller, and it’s all done brilliantly, it’s an amazing book. I can't wait to see what awaits Roland and his Ka-tet. I've read 5 books in a little over a month! (Not including the book that I read in the middle for a break) These aren't exactly small books people. The first has got to be the smallest of them all.

So if you've got some free time or looking for a good read, my I suggest starting with The Gunslinger. I'll bet you library has it.

No comments:

Post a Comment